Fixing Markdown Series @ Manuscripts News

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Tue Jul 18 11:01:17 EDT 2017

It seems to me that the first thing to handle is coming up with a means for identifying the version/variant/dialect/fork of "markdown" that a file is coded in.

I have been thinking that a variant of #! Would do it, but that's not quite what that is used for (since it confuses format and the application that is expected to process it).  (I am looking at #? Myself, but don't have a clear proposal at

I still think something like that is called for.  Have a way of identifying the format of the text and, ideally, leading to where the rules and definition can be found.  Have it in a form that can be ignored, and still be forgiving when there is no such information and a consuming software does the best that can be figured out.

 - Dennis

PS: I am looking at #? myself, for leading format specifying line(s).  Don't have a clear description so far, but there's more thinking at <http://nfoware.com/notes/2017/02/n170201.htm>.  I will be using this for some different formats that I want to introduce (having little or nothing to do with markdown).

[ ... ]