[MCR] Little Sifton

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jan 4 23:55:13 EST 2010

Toured over Little Sifton today. Gave "Puff Daddy" a miss. No new
naturals observed today, nor any new skier triggered avalanches.
Stability in the upper 50cm of the snowpack seemed quite a bit better
in the alpine. Zero wind effect at ridgeline. It was interesting to
see all the old ski tracks under the recent storm snow. Surface hoar
layer down 40ish was definitely an issue at treeline. Snow got twitchy
there so we skied very conservatively down through the elevation band
1900m to 1700m on as low angle terrain as we could find in the Hermit
area, away from the worst convexities, ditches and steep openings
overhead. Most of the gully walls and convex rolls had gone naturally
during the storm in this elevation band. Skiing the debris was still
fairly soft though and nothing bigger than a size 2. Beautiful skies
and good visibility above the fog bank. Lots of new surface hoar
forming on top right up into the alpine, which may not last, we shall
see.

We did lots of hand shear tests on the way up and down, skied one at a
time through a fair bit of terrain which I don't often do, felt like a
good thing today.

Anna Brown
Ski Guide