[MCR] Rockies, Columbia Icefield

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jun 22 16:41:12 EDT 2010

Tried to post this earlier but we had some troubles with the MCR, for
what its worth:

My fellow guide, Sharon Wood, and I spent the last several days
guiding in the Columbia Icefields:

May 16th we climbed the Southeast ridge of Mt Wilcox. An ice axe is
good to have in hand as there is still a fair amount of snow up there.

May 17th we climbed Boundary Peak from the Athabasca/Boundary col. We
gained the col via the lower North Athabasca Glacier and ice tongue,
great travel on the glacier at present and little snow left on the
rock ridge leading to the top. Grand bumsliding on the northwest
slope descent.

May 18th we ascended the AA Col route on Athabasca. Perfect
cramponing on the 'magic crust' in the morning, good boot top
penetration on our descent of the North Ramp. The "new" serac
threatening the east end of the Ramp has calved twice in the last 2-3
weeks. We scampered under it in a couple of minutes then gave its
runout a wide berth. Great conditions overall.

www.barryblanchard.ca
www.yamnuska.com