[MCR] Northern Purcells: Purcell Lodge

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Mar 7 10:25:12 EST 2010

I spent Feb. 26-Mar. 4 guiding at Purcell Lodge in the Northern Purcells.

While the same buried surface hoar layers were present in the snowpack; we
were only seeing reactivity on the Feb. 24 layer (down ~20 cm) at treeline &
above on north (especially NE) aspects. Numerous naturals, skier remotes and
skier controlled on this layer but only low density (4F-F) soft slabs due to
the surprising lack of wind.

Midweek the sun came out and warmed things up substantially. This created
crusts on south and west aspects up to mountain top (2600 metres). Mild
overnight temps promoted increased strengthening of the upper snowpack
except on north, shaded aspects where we were still seeing results on the
Feb. 24 layer.

Ken Belanger

TopCog Adventures

ACMG Assistant Ski Guide