[MCR] Whitewater backcountry, near Nelson / West Kootenays / Southern Selkirks

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Apr 19 11:58:54 EDT 2011

While touring in the Black Queen / Five Mile area yesterday we found
evidence of a fairly widespread avalanche cycle up to size 2 on all aspects
with notables out of the Hummer A & B Shafts (N), West Ymir (N), Goat Slide
(SW), White Queen North Bowl (N), and Evening Ridge (E). Several of these
seemed skier triggered, with the deepest crown (40-50cm on a SW aspect)
involving only the storm layers in the upper snowpack.
Of note was the number of thin slabs (10-15cm observed on SE through N
aspects) that had released in various pockets within the trees but often not
on the more open slopes.

We found several resistant shears within the top 50cm on a North aspect at
2100m, and were able to kick off a surface slough in steep terrain that ran
far and fast.

There have been a number of good convective storms in the past few days
(yesterday included) which continue to build the snowpack. I was unable to
touch ground while shoving my probe down 3.5m at ridge top. Looks like it
might be a short summer at these elevations. Massive cornices too - things
will get nasty when it heats up!

Despite thinly buried crusts on all but steeper northerly aspects, we had a
great day of skiing and even found very reasonable turns on a SW aspect in
tight trees to make it back to the car.

Cheers,
Shaun King ACMG / UIAGM Mountain Guide
Mountain Sense Guiding & Instruction