[MCR] Selkirks, Sorcerer Lodge

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Feb 6 17:40:57 EST 2011

From Jan 29-Feb 5 we skied at Sorcerer Lodge in the Selkirks, just
northeast of Glacier Park.

Our primary concern all week was a weak layer of decomposing and
fragmented particles that are facetting, and which is now buried down
about 40-60 cm. This layer was found most places but was only an
issue in alpine and exposed treeline areas where a harder layer of
wind slab sat on top of it. These windslabs are now buried by about
30-40 cm of soft snow.

At the end of the week another windslab was formed on the surface
when we got about 20cm of snow combined with moderate to strong
southwest winds. These new windslabs will be found on lee and
crossloaded slopes at treeline and in the alpine.

There were some large cornices in the alpine and we limited our
exposure to them.

We didn't see signs of deeper instabilities even though there is
surface hoar down about 150 cm and facets at the bottom of the
snowpack. That said, we still treated large, steep and smooth alpine
slopes with caution.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide
photos at www.facebook.com/alpinism