[MCR] Mt. Louis Kain Route

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jun 23 23:14:00 EDT 2011

We climbed the Kain route on Mt. Louis today (Thursday). There is still a
lot of snow on the approach as you exit the trees under Mt. Edith. An ice
axe can be useful. The climbing route itself is clear of snow and ice
with the exception of the odd little patch that can be avoided. The rappel
route is mostly clear of snow and did not present any problems except for
the waterfall on the last rappel. Expect to get very wet but we were
already anyway. The descent down to the Gargoyle valley is dry as it is
south facing, but the Gargoyle valley itself still has a lot of snow. The
other south facing routes should also be fine. I expect that Homage to the
Spider will be a while yet before it comes into condition.

Marc Ledwidge

MG