[MCR] Wapta Icefields, Rockies: 10-14 February

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Feb 15 10:44:01 EST 2013

The snowpack is quite shallow at treeline and below - use caution as there are plenty of buried hazards, but thickens considerably above. We received ~25cm of new snow in a storm over 12-13 Feb, however distribution was variable due to strong-extreme gusting winds. On our way out yesterday, small 1.0-1.5 slab releases had begun on loaded aspects. I'd expect these to increase as the slabs strengthen.

The glacier above Bow hut had 2-2.3 metres of snow, and probing the upper ice-field in the St. Nicholas/Olive/Gordon area found 240+ cm. St. Nick was in good shape to the summit.

Lots of white-out navigation practice...

Ken Bélanger
Apprentice Ski Guide, CAA 2
TopCog Adventures | Outdoor Guiding & Adventure Travel