[PCNJ-news] PCNJ News & Updates - 12/26/02

pridecenter-news-admin at pridecenter.org pridecenter-news-admin at pridecenter.org
Mon Nov 25 20:41:17 EST 2002

The Pride Center of New Jersey
Celebrating Ten Years in 2002!
News & Updates - November 26, 2002

1. WOMEN'S COFFEE HOUSE - December 1
2. MEN'S HOLIDAY COFFEE HOUSE - December 6
3. OUT OF THE BOX - December 20
4. OUTREACH COMMITTEE - December 17
5. GUEST SPEAKER - Sex and Disability - November 26
6. GAY & LESBIAN YOUTH
7. AALU - November 26
8. END OF YEAR DONATIONS
9. ENTERTAINMENT BOOKS AS GIFTS

1. WOMEN'S COFFEE HOUSE
For the month of December, the Pride Center's Women's Coffee House presents a
special night of entertainment, fun and refreshments!  The special guest
entertainer will be Stephanie-Phyllis Monticciolo who has performed at many
area venues including the Court Tavern and Tumulty's Pub.  Come meet new
friends and enjoy the music!  At The Pride Center of NJ, 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM
on Saturday, December 7th. Donation: $5.00

2. MEN'S HOLIDAY COFFEE HOUSE
The next Men's Coffee House will take place on Friday, December 6th at 7:30
PM. Come start the holiday season right with a congenial night out with the
guys!  Holiday music and refreshments provided.  Volunteers are needed to
assist with set-up and clean-up.  If you can help, please come an hour early
and/or e-mail us at info at pridecenter.org.   Ho! Ho! Ho!

3. OUT OF THE BOX
Performance of all types will be showcased at The Pride Center of New
Jersey's new series OUT OF THE BOX hosted by spoken-word performer
Pandora Scooter.  Held on the third Friday of each month, this open-mic
series welcomes all types of performance.  The November premiere was a great
success, so please come out for the next Out of the Box on Friday,
December 20th at 8:00 pm.  Cost: $5 ($3 for students).  The Pride Center
of New Jersey is located at 1048 Livingston Avenue in North Brunswick.
Phone number (for directions) 732-846-2232.  Information at
www.pridecenter.org.  "Listeners and sharers alike are welcome,"
explains Pandora Scooter, host of the series.  "I'm thrilled to be a
part of creating an all-inclusive open-mic experience."  While the Pride
Center specifically serves the GLBT community, everyone is invited to
join this event and share their poetry, music, dance, comedy or other
artistic expressions at the open-mic.

4. OUTREACH COMMITTEE
The purpose of this Outreach Committee is to bring more people into the
center primarily focusing on women, health, youth, seniors and people of
color.  We are hoping that by having this Outreach Committee we can start new
groups and bring people into existing programs as well. Meetings are on the
3rd Tuesday of each month. WE WANT TO MAKE THE CENTER MORE DIVERSE!  And with
this we are asking everyone interested in making this possible to at least
come to the meeting to see what its about!  If you have any questions please
dont hesitate to call me at 732-319-9707 or Ellen at the Center at
732-846-2232.

5. GUEST SPEAKER on Sex and Disabilities
Join at at the Pride Center on Tuesday November 26th at 8 PM. We will have a
guest speaker on the topic of Sexuality and Disability. Dave Altier will talk
about sexuality and disability from the mental health perspective. Discussion
will follow. He given this talk to the human sexuality course at Brookdale
Community College for the past four years. Refreshments provided. Sponsored
by Lesbians & Gay Men of New Brunswick. All are welcome!

6. GALY NEW BRUNSWICK
Gay and Lesbian Youth meets at The Pride Center on 1st, 2nd and 3rd
Saturdays from 2 pm to 5 pm. This group is for ages 16 - 21.

7. AALU - November 28
African American Lesbians United will be holding their November meeting at
The Pride Center of NJ on Thursday November 26th at 7:30 PM.  Please mark
your calendars!

8. END OF YEAR DONATIONS
Please remember The Pride Center of NJ when it comes to your end of year
donations and membership renewals!  The Pride Center counts on people like
yourselves to help make our many services and programs available to New
Jersey's GLBT community.  It's easy to make cuts in your giving during
difficult economic times like this, but it's during these times that
organizations like ours need your help the most. The Pride Center has
important work ahead for the next year and a tight budget to meet.  Every
donation made is greatly appreciated.  The Pride Center of NJ is a 501(c)3
tax-exempt organization, therefore your donations are tax-deductable to
extend allowed by law. Donations and memberships can be sent to: The Pride
Center of NJ, PO Box 5130, New Brunswick, NJ 08903.  Additional information
can be found on our website: <A HREF="www.pridecenter.org/join">www.pridecenter.org/join</A>.

9. ENTERTAINMENT BOOKS ARE IN!
Those fabulous Entertainment 2003 coupon books are now available from the
Pride Center of NJ!   Thousands of dollars in savings on dinners, movies,
vacations, dry cleaning, sports, shopping and more!   We can provide books
for anywhere!  Local books in stock at The Pride Center.  Great holiday gifts
for you or others! Each sale helps The Pride Center.