[Slowhand] Re: NBTB

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Wed Dec 3 10:07:55 EST 2003

>> DeltaNick, Thanks for your long reply and passionate opinions ...  I
think the whole concept of guitar-god died in 1970 when Jimi Hendrix died
and EC and Peter Green retired. The guitar players, who came after that,
aren't in the same class. <<

Ande,

I agree with your statements above.

Clapton is a talented performer. However, there are people who are better
songwriters, and there are people who are better singers. I like the fact
that he sings and writes, but when we speak of his guitar playing, Clapton
has (had?) an especially unique talent. There was nobody like him. Mention
of "guitar gods," I believe, really cheapens this discussion. Most who could
be labeled "guitar gods" aren't worth the time. If it's a tradeoff (the more
singing and songwriting he does, the less he concentrates on guitar), then
it's a shame. However, I don't believe it needs to be this way.

Let's also keep in mind that there were and are great musicians in other
musical fields (jazz, classical, etc.) who continued to hone their skills
and play their instruments past their twenties (Segovia, Coltrane, John
Williams, etc.), so being noted as a musician does not require the "guitar
god" label, which is simply another way of saying "rock star."

Let me simply state that there are many of us who believe that Clapton is
depriving the world of his unique, guitar playing talents by being so
"modest." He could do much better, but his laziness seems to get in the way.
I'm not interested in 20-minute versions of "Spoonful." But when he plays
"Hideaway," as he still sometimes does, it would be nice if he put more than
a minimum of effort into it.

                DeltaNick