[Slowhand] "Lazy Clapton" - Not!

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 4 16:34:16 EST 2003

I enjoy this "thread".

To characterize EC as "lazy" is unfair. Until you have walked in the man's shoes, it is presumptuous. The last two world tours were marathons - months on the road at a time. Imagine getting "up" for show after show, day after day. In interviews with Steve and Andy, they marvel at the man's energy (btw, what ever happened to the behind the scenes documentary that was produced on tour. Released? Available?).

The NBTB tour was fabulous - I heartily agree. There were some incredible, over the top performances on that tour. The 3rd Irving Plaza show is my personal favorite performance. He took many chances in that show letting it all hang out in Five Long Years, Crossroads, HYELAW, Early in the Morning. Other shows like the one at the LA Forum just days prior to Irving Plaza were far more reserved and "standard."

The Pilgrim Tour while not my favorite had its moments also. I saw three shows from that tour. My ears are still pinned to the back of the Arco Arena, Sacramento from the 15th row as a result of "She's Gone." Now there's a powerful, soulful, modern work - one where the orchestra did not "get in the way." And how about the amp-feedback work at the onset.

I saw two Reptile shows and loved the performance - which somehow reminded me of the Journeyman tour. I didn't particularly like the Pilgrim versions of MFEyes or RofTears, but the Reptile versions were so much improved! The vocals were much better - the end of RofT (I think that EC learned from the Impressions). The guitar work was was VERY emotional and soulful...

The point is - EC is a work in progress - not static or boring. He is still learning. His acoustic guitar work today is far improved from the days of "unplugged." His vocal style is ever improving. While he doesn't often burn the strings off his guitar anymore, I hear him playing with increased finesse, again, mostly in his acoustic numbers. EC says that he uses his music as therapy - to grieve. That's a pretty powerful message. He shares his very personal emotions with the world, and at times there are some magic moments where/when he really connects.

EC also seems to be a perfectionist - obsessive that the music be "right." We have heard allusions of this trait by numerous peers - often in frustration. He made some of the performers crazy in the production of Concert for George we've read. It might also explain why some of his studio productions have left many of us "flat" lacking in soul and being over-produced (Pilgrim and to a lesser extent Reptile). I, personally, prefer his live performances for their spontineity, and, occasionally, he rips the cover off the ball - Dylan Tribute 50 years - a walk-on "Don't Think Twice" that left audience and peers stunned...

Really fast, long GuitarGod solos are not "the man's" current priority. Count the diversions (the roads he's gone down) over the years of his career and shared that journey with us all: acid/psychedelic, reggae, country, jazz, orchestrated, Indian - RaviS (okay that's a stretch) and always back to blues. How many versions of Crossroads has he performed?  Perhaps, ripping guitar solos were just another phase that EC journeyed that he may or may not revisit someday.

 My favorite musicians are those who love and really need their music with a passion - borderline psychotics.  Some actors are like this too - Pacino and Penn come to mind. Without their craft, they might reside in padded cells. I think that it is a special treat to share in this therapy, and I can't wait to see what EC does next - but I hope that it includes a couple ripping guitar solos.

Thanks for your indulgence for this long post.

MBoss