[Slowhand] Clapton playing style

Alberto Patron apatron at uol.com.ar
Fri Dec 5 08:51:22 EST 2003

Hi,
My two cents on this conversation about laziness. I think that one of the
keys to understanding his differente playing styles along time is in his own
words. I remember that on some of the latest interviews (an I think even on
the booklet sold during the Reptile tour) he expresses that he loves to play
"for himself". I enjoyed a lot the Reptile show, but some friends of mine
(not really Clapton fans) complained that he was not a good showman, that he
was not really paying attention to the audience and was just sitting there
with his acoustic guitar like he was in the living room of his home.
In fact, it was just what he was doing!. He was playing to please himself.
To express himself in a way that "worked" for him. Maybe I am mixing things
here, but I think probably at this moment of his life he enjoys this not so
"god-like" guitar playing but a more peacefull and intimate one. He plays in
a very honest way, not to be a crowd-pleaser but to share his way of
enjoying the music. And that is his right.
Of course it is our right to prefer maybe some other period of his career. I
don´t know... this type of threads appear on many music forums and go around
the idea of "he SHOULD play what I, the fan, wants" vs "he must follow what
he wants". With artists of these caliber at these moment in their lives they
can really make no compromises and do whatever they like. I think is their
right and a honest way to go.
Regards,
Alberto