[Slowhand] auto-pilot

Abt, Grant g.abt at ucsm.ac.uk
Tue Dec 23 12:59:49 EST 2003

DeltaNick,

You say that EC is on auto-pilot. I'm wandering if you play the guitar, or
any instrument for that matter? It's a genuine question, because as one who
plays the guitar (some would argue against that!) i know from my limited
experience of playing (13 years) that your performance can vary quite
markedly from gig to gig, just because of various random influences (your
mood, how much sleep you had the night before etc etc). It is just common
knowledge from a performers point of view that it's impossible to be "on"
night after night. So, i think we need to be a little more forgiving when it
comes to judging EC being lazy or on auto-pilot because it's just not
possible to be sensational every night. I do acknowledge that these "on"
nights like the Crossroads benefit, Hyde Park gig and recently the Concert
for George (for his brilliant job as musical director rather than solos) do
seem to be getting fewer, but then after 40 years of doing this, there has
to be an element of "this is a job" creeping in. I challenge you to examine
any other artist who has been at the top for so long and not see the same
things we are critisizing EC for (anyone like to comment on The Rolling
Stones, Bob Dylan etc??). Moreover, am i looking forward to his new CD('s)
coming out and seeing him live in Manchester in 2004?....you bettcha,
because his playing, songwriting and singing still excites me more than any
other artist.

Grant.

------------------------
Grant Abt Ph.D.
Lancaster, UK

*****  CONFIDENTIALITY & SECURITY DISCLAIMER  *****
Please note the contents of this e-mail do not necessarily represent the
policies or views of St Martins College. This e-mail message and any
attachments may contain confidential information and should only be accessed
by the intended recipient. If they have come to you in error please advise
the sender by replying to this email and copy your reply to
postmaster at ucsm.ac.uk. In this circumstance you must not disclose, copy,
distribute, use or rely on this email and you should permanently delete it.
Security Warning: Please note that this e-mail has been created in the
knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium.
It is advised that you understand and observe this lack of security when
emailing us.
Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and
attachments are free from any virus, we cannot accept responsibility for
email once it has left us. You should ensure that you have a suitable anti
virus system in place and check the email upon receipt.