[Slowhand] Re: auto-pilot

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Tue Dec 23 13:41:44 EST 2003

Grant,

I began taking formal piano lessons in 1957 or 1958, and continued for
several years. I've played guitar since 1965.

No, I understand both "on" and "off" performances, which certainly happens.
This is NOT what I mean.

What I DO mean is that Clapton does not seem to take much interest in guitar
any more. When he played on songs, some 30+ years ago, he tried to include a
unique solo. It seems that nowadays, he hardly plays solos on songs any
more. And when he does, he doesn't seem to care what comes out. Also, his
guitar playing is NOT comparable to what it was earlier in life. He just did
SO much more. Clapton used to be THE cutting edge, when it came to guitar.
Today, he still can play well, but he's just another guitar player. I
believe that he simply doesn't try any more ... at least not very much. I
think he deprives us of something more, of what he's capable of doing. There
are MANY fans who feel this way.

Now, all talk of "guitar god" status is rubbish: there are PLENTY of
musicians who continue to develop their instrumental chops into later life:
Segovia did, John Williams does, Coltrane did, a whole slew of jazz
musicians continue to do so. So, to say that he's "progressed beyond that"
is rubbish as well. Instead, he does no heavy lifting any more with the
guitar, devoting his efforts to singing instead. And his singing has
improved markedly over the years. But first, he's got to try. If he does so,
he's capable of SO much more. If he doesn't try, he's just another guy
wearing a guitar around his neck.

Overall, I like Clapton's music. I also like his guitar playing. And I will
see him again if he tours the US. But I certainly believe that he could give
us SO much more.

                DeltaNick