[Slowhand] Some great performances

a linden roante04 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 25 04:00:56 EST 2003

Hi all,
Inspired by this years Autopilot discussion I dug into
my oversized EC live recording archives, just to make
sure I'm on the right path on this very serious
matter.
Yes, I found lots of powerful stuff, that suggest EC's
ongoing greatness and "divinity".

Here's some selections for those with open ears and a
desire to enjoy also the latter part of Eric's career:
Ain’t Goin’ Down - Dublin,  14.04.1983 (swinging band
and EC in a relaxed but fluent mode)
Sky is Crying - Milano 23.01.1984 (gutsy vocals and
raw slide on this rare performed blues)
Crossroads - Tokyo  02.11.1988 (strong duet with Mark
Knopfler on this classic)
I shot the sheriff - London 17.2.1991 (beautiful
vocals and delicate guitar end up in a passionate
finale turning into-)
White Room - London 17.2.1991 ("different" vocals and
a furious solo)
Groanin' the Blues - Tokyo, 27.10.1993 (Aching vocal
turns into a plaintive and heartmelting solo)
Double Trouble - Tokyo, 13.10.1995 (best version ever
of this too seldom heard blues, EC's guitar in
storytelling and climatic mode)
Gin House - Tokyo, 27.11.1999 (EC lets his fingers
free after Andy's vocal)
HYELW- Tokyo, 27.11.1999 (Clapton plays the intro
fingerpicking and improvises beautifully on this
unbelievable version)
HYELW- Zurich, 5.3.2001 (another divine version,
exploding the audience)
River of Tears - Helsinki 5.4.2001 (very dramatic,
building to a finale of guitarwork, fast and
screaming).

Cheers and let's not take all this too seriously
Ande