[Slowhand] the debate....

RonTash at webtv.net RonTash at webtv.net
Sat Dec 27 01:57:39 EST 2003

     I have read with some interest the ongoing debate regarding EC's
guitar playing now versus then and I must say that with few exceptions
I've found myself wanting more and enjoying less.  I'd love to be
sitting here writing a tribute to his guitar playing but the truth is-EC
seems to have made a conscious decision to NOT play the guitar as he is
capable.   There has been a stream of opinions regarding this subject
which range from the folks who love him and his stuff regardless to the
folks who love his stuff with certain reservations to a few folks who
just can't get past the fact that he has moved on and doesn't seem to
regard guitar playing, that is, the sort of guitar playing that gets you
out of your seat and shaking whatever you've got to shake, as paramount
to the moment at which he addresses the strings and frets.
     Eric can play, when he chooses, like a monster, a big scary monster
who takes you somewhere you haven't been and leaves you wanting more.  I
know this as I've seen and heard him do this.  I first experienced this
at the Fillmore in 1967 and as recently as Seattle a couple years
ago....why he chooses NOT to do this is clearly a mystery with lots of
detectives on the trail.  I have my suspicions but they are merely
suspicions.  I can only repeat an old story from Nile Rodgers who was
working with EC on the JImi tribute piece and was in EC's music room one
evening.  Eric picked up a guitar and turned into the scary monster for
a few moments.  Nile asked him why he didn't play like that anymore and
Eric replied that he'd already done that and didn't want to do it
anymore.  Isn't it a pity as he does it so well.  Happy Holidays to All,
rn

http://community.webtv.net/RonTash/ThePeanutGalleries