[Slowhand] high-definition surround CD??

Mark Deavult mark at inna.net
Wed Jul 7 00:06:41 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Claptofan" <claptofan at yahoo.com>
To: <slowhand at planet-torque.com>
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 8:33 PM
Subject: [Slowhand] high-definition surround CD??

> Is this a SACD? (which i doubt b/c my reciever and Cd
> player cannot decode SACd as far as i know)
> Is this a DVD? (that is the sectionit was in when my
> dad picked it up)
> If it neither of those things, what exactly is it, and
> where can I get more of them to replace my current
> collection?

These are DTS 5.1 releases of some EC albums.  I can't remember if they're
on CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, but the audio is 5.1 channel surround.  Checking the
DTS site at:

http://www.dtsentertainment.com/artist.php?artist=Eric%20Clapton

I see only "461" and "There's One ..." currently listed for sale.  Perhaps
someone can add information on this, but IIRC these were originally
available as Quadraphonic vinyl releases so it was a fairly simple matter
since the mixes were available to release these in the 5.1 format.  There
are a few dedicated (and brave) souls out there who are also taking original
Quad LP/8 Track and converting them to 5.1 DTS.  I have some of the Pink
Floyd albums that were converted by fans from Quad to DTS and the results
are very nice to say the least.  Once you've been *inside* the mix when all
the clocks go off in "Time" from 'Dark Side of the Moon', the regular stereo
mix sounds like mono in comparison.

Another nice thing that is happening is the creation of 5.1 mixes using
soundboard and audience recordings, using the SB for the front channels and
the audience recording for ambience.  Depending of course on the quality of
the available sources, the results can be phenomenal!  A friend of mine has
really been doing some nice work with this kind of stuff.   I'm looking
forward to seeing a number of EC shows in the coming week or so beginning in
Buffalo, but when I return I'll have a nice 5.1 mix to offer to the list for
free distribution - stay tuned!

Cheers,
Mark