[Slowhand] Re: Swap Meet

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 18:20:14 EDT 2004

Sadly this once very informative mailing list - discussion group is now
nothing more than a bootleg swap meet. Can't all of these offers be moved to
another locale or list?

--------

For a different point of view, I'll say that I consider trading/weeding a fantastic use of the mailing list. After all - this list *is* about the music of Eric Clapton, yes?  Perhaps it would be better to go back to the way things used to be ... where the average person had no access to recordings unless they paid for increasingly difficult to find bootlegs?  This list does not generate anywhere near enough traffic to be a problem at all, and even someone of dimished reading skills shouldn't take more than a couple seconds to be able to scan the headers for a Digest.  No one is forced to read each message, just as I was not forced to pay any attention whatsoever to the stupid "Gibson vs. Fender" stuff, or the ever-recurring "EC hasn't done anything worthwhile since [insert date here]".

Personally I don't have a problem with people wanting to share and enjoy the music. It's the folks who follow EC's every move, travel all over, discuss ad nauseum, etc. etc. and DON'T collect or listen to the music who scare me a bit. Okay, some of them scare me more than a little bit, but this ain't the place to go into that.

You write that "As much as I enjoy hear Eric he is sadly now just spinning his tires.". That's your opinion, and you are certainly welcome to it. We all have our favorites, it's all subjective and there is no right or wrong.  Personally I disagree, and although I have been rather harsh about some of the performances in the past decade, and particularly 2001, IMHO EC is playing with a newfound fire these days and is well worth the ticket price.

Perhaps if you'd taken the time to actually participate in some of the offers on the SD and listened to some of the recent shows, your opinion would be different.  Then again, maybe not, which would be fine.  But if you feel the need for more "informative" postings, feel free to post away!  We're all ears ...