[Slowhand] Re: How to Extract and How to Burn

Luke Pacholski LukPac at lukpac.org
Sun Aug 22 01:14:11 EDT 2004

AG, re:

>Altho it may pain thee, thou must tradest not with Infidels who doth not
>follow The Commandments:

I don't want to spoil the party, but...oh, what the hell...<g>

>1) Thou shalt use standalones or must use EAC configured properly

I haven't gotten many discs burned on standalones, but the rate of
messed up discs (however minor) has been much higher than discs I've
gotten burned on the computer. One guy's burner wouldn't not put gaps
in between songs.

And as far as (not) using EAC goes, yeah, it's the most foolproof way
of doing things, but I've burned thousands of discs on my Mac using a
program that doesn't have all of EAC's checks and balances, and it's
pretty rare that I ever have issues. Heck, most of the time on the PC
I just set EAC to burst mode because I'm sick of waiting. And, yes,
I've run WAV compares and things always come out just fine.

>2) Thou shalt use quality Japan / US made media

Again, I've used lots of different blanks, and with few exceptions, I
haven't had any problems with them. I've even got cheapo discs that
are several years old that still play and extract fine. YMMV.

>3) Thou shalt never burn ON THE FLY

I've never understood this one. If your software is halfway decent,
it will read the disc as fast or slow as it needs to, and if your
source drive can't keep up with your burner, you'll just get a
coaster (buffer underrun). If it can keep up, what does it matter if
the data sits on your hard drive before burning? And if your source
drive is generating errors when it is ripping, then you've got bigger
problems than burning on the fly.

>4) Thou shalt always burn DAO

Agreed. I'm still not sure why TAO was ever invented.

I've never been enough of a hardcore trader to care about 5-10, so...

Luke
--
http://lukpac.org/