[Slowhand] Re: Re: Extract and Burn

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 08:23:56 EDT 2004

>> I haven't gotten many discs burned on standalones, but the rate of
>> messed up discs (however minor) has been much higher than discs I've
>> gotten burned on the computer. One guy's burner wouldn't not put gaps
>> in between songs.

Fairly impressive ... how does THAT work?  Would be impossible on my

equipment ... add 2 seconds after each of 10 tracks, so by the end of a

disc the burner is 20 seconds off the source? Hard to pull off.

>> And as far as (not) using EAC goes, yeah, it's the most foolproof way
>> of doing things, but I've burned thousands of discs on my Mac using a
>> program that doesn't have all of EAC's checks and balances, and it's
>> pretty rare that I ever have issues. Heck, most of the time on the PC
>> I just set EAC to burst mode because I'm sick of waiting. And, yes,
>> I've run WAV compares and things always come out just fine.

Which is fine doing stuff for personal use - I use burst as well when ripping

to mp3 for the player I use to work out.  But those files will never - ever - be

traded out.  WAV compare is a great idea, but easier for most people I think

to simply use secure mode and let EAC tell you if there are problems.

>> Again, I've used lots of different blanks, and with few exceptions, I
>> haven't had any problems with them. I've even got cheapo discs that
>> are several years old that still play and extract fine. YMMV.

Let's put it this way: you're spending your time (valuable to some of us),

spending money on packing, shipping, postage, insurance, etc.

Discs are the *cheapest* part of the equation and if you can't afford an

extra dime or two for a blank, you probably need to reorganize your

priorities!

>> I've never understood this one. If your software is halfway decent,
>> it will read the disc as fast or slow as it needs to, and if your
>> source drive can't keep up with your burner, you'll just get a
>> coaster (buffer underrun). If it can keep up, what does it matter if
>> the data sits on your hard drive before burning? And if your source
>> drive is generating errors when it is ripping, then you've got bigger
>> problems than burning on the fly.

Valid in principle, and valid on say my main PC which is a stripped down

lean mean machine designed for that sort of thing.  But take the average

Joe's (or Jane's) PC, loaded down with tons of dreck, games, files, you have

antivirus and firewall proggies polling, all sorts of TSR and background apps

running, network connections polling, etc. and in practice it just plain does

not work for most folks. This is changing as processor/HD/CD speeds improve

but not everyone is using the newest stuff.  Sort of like where DVD still is

today - if you want to do a raw AVI capture of a 20G-25G 2-hour DVD resolution

file, you better be running a screaming machine/drives or you'll get dropped frames.

>> Agreed. I'm still not sure why TAO was ever invented.

For studio albums, surely - which let's face it for the average chipmunk is ever

going to be copying/listening.