[Slowhand] Ramblin' 'bout "Live Aid" DVD

Art Arias artaarias at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 21:09:32 EDT 2004

Nov. 10 is the announced release date for the 4 disc
DVD set of the now historic "Live Aid" events that
took place in 1985 similtainiously at Philadephia's
JFK Stadium and London's Wembley that raised over $70
million dollars for African famine relief. I've heard
there were numerous technical problems over the course
of these events forcing some artists like Paul
McCartney to re-record his vocals for his performance
of "Let It Be" due to power failure of his microphone.
Elton John is only allowing a couple of his songs used
and the reunited Led Zeppelin has refused their
performance altogether due to their claim of a
"sub-standard performance". I remember sitting through
it all day and into the evening recording and watching
most of the artists as the event was broadcast Live on
MTV and the power going out during the Who's set, and
waiting for Eric Clapton to show only to have MTV come
back from a commercial with Eric band halfway thru
"White Room", the first time he'd included it in a
live set since the Cream days. I was bummed not to get
the whole performace of it on video but he did end it
with a great solo followed by great versions of She's
Waiting and Layla. He got a huge response from the
crowd and they say this was a turning point in Eric
career as his appearance opened up his audience base
for years to come. I can only hope that this DVD
version with Eric's performance captures his entire
performance of White Room so I can put those VHS tapes
to rest. Does anyone else who saw these concerts
remember this happening also? I know there are bootleg
DVD's out of the Live Aid concerts but haven't checked
into it yet, so I don't know if there also taken from
the MTV broadcast or not. It'll be great to finally
hear Eric's and alot of the other artists who
performed that day in hopefully an outstanding 5.1
surround mix of the days events.

                           Art Arias