[Slowhand] Re: Blues Rehearsal question

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Sun Nov 14 12:51:59 EST 2004

>> Some time ago I received a copy of the Blues Rehearsal CD and on first
>> listening heard a great deal of crackling and distortion in the high end.
>> Thought maybe it was a problem with car stereo speakers but on repeated
>> listenings in other places, the problem has not gone away. Can anyone
>> tell me if this is a problem with the original and if it isn't, is there
>> anyone out there who would be kind enough to make a copy for me? Many
>> thanks. Regards, Jerry Gips <<

Jerry,

I don't believe that I have this recording. However, this is an opportunity
for me to point out the low quality/low caring level of many folks who
trade. This is EXACTLY what Mark Deavult complained about a few months ago.

I'm absolutely certain that some good copies of this particular performance
are available, but too many people don't care to take the time to learn a
few simple rules-of-thumb and techniques that we've discussed here. This
type of substandard recording results from a number of things, including use
of poor media (CD-Rs), sloppiness in extraction and burning, use of
less-than-decent software, and simply ignorance (burning with gaps between
tracks, etc), among others.

Some good general rules are at http://www.geetarz.org/html/trades.htm. There
are other pages on the Internet that discuss how to obtain good burning
results. I had to find them myself, and I didn't save them. Do a little bit
of homework if you don't know much, ask around, experiment a bit. You'd be
surprised how much you can learn. And it doesn't take much time at all.

When I trade, I want the person on the other end to believe that they have
the best available product. I do not want a bad trading reputation (the word
DOES get around). Therefore, I test my discs after burning them. If they're
not good enough, they become coasters and I start anew. It's simply good
manners.

                DeltaNick