[Slowhand] Re: Stuck In The Past?

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Sat Jun 24 01:54:15 EDT 2006

>> I'm in no position to tell anybody, that they're stuck in the past <<

I'm sorry, but "stuck in the '60s" is a line that Olli has used, time and time again, over the years. And it's the phoniest response I've ever seen on the Slowhand Digest. Now, all of a sudden, it's "Who, me?" In fact, Olli's "stuck in the past" line is not only wrong, it's downright insulting.

>> Nowadays Slowhand Digest has degenerated into a slowhand bashing list, where people stuck into their past try desperately find new ways to put down mr. Eric Clapton and his current music. <<

Olli's "reasoning" misses the mark by miles. "Stuck in the past," "retro," "stuck in the '60s," it's all Olli knows how to say, over and over, like a robot, a parrot. If someone criticizes Eric Clapton, Olli says he's "stuck in the '60s." It never dawns on Olli that there could be another reason, that criticism of Eric Clapton results NOT from a desire to bash Eric Clapton. However, "bashing Eric Clapton" is the only possible reason that registers in his mind. No other reason is possible for Olli, period. A writer's stated reason -- that he wants to express or discuss an idea, an opinion -- in Olli's mind is simply not possible. This line of reasoning reminds me of the recent hysterical reaction in the Mideast to cartoons published in Denmark. In fact, this is not reasoning at all. It's intolerance.

Although I don't agree with all the criticism published in the Slowhand Digest, I welcome those who offer it. Most people are tolerant of others' ideas and opinions, and are willing to discuss or debate them. Intolerant people cannot do this. Instead, they ignore the idea and attack the idea's author. This is what Olli does. He is incapable of discussing or debating such ideas and attacks people because they express ideas which he cannot tolerate. Because he is intolerant, he cannot debate these ideas in a civil manner.

A couple of months back, Olli referred to the first year or two of the Slowhand Digest favorably, as if it were a "golden age." This sounds like HE wants to live in the past. Or maybe he's just stuck there: with a limited vocabulary, with an inability to debate, with intolerance. Instead of attempting to understand the message, Olli shoots the messenger.

Yes, I'll admit that Olli is right about one thing: Whatever we post to the Slowhand Digest -- unless it's a factoid such as "'Eric Clapton: Deluxe Edition' was released 23 May 2006" -- is opinion. The Slowhand Digest is FULL of opinion. Posting one's dream set list is opinion. If "LAOALS" is your favorite album, that's opinion too. Liking "Back Home" is merely opinion as well.

However, opinion is what free speech is all about. And if Clapton decides that playing rhythm guitar, tonight, without solos is better, that's opinion too. And we all know -- that is, except Olli -- that EC is not a deity, but a human, an opinionated human.

DeltaNick