[Slowhand] RE: Bluesbreakers and the Slowhand Digest

Jason Lynch jalynch_80 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 12 12:50:29 EDT 2006

>As DeltaNick pointed out, it's actually a blues. Also, if you don't think

>musicians then and now see a huge difference between a Ray Charles version

>of what might be considered a pop song and anyone else doing the exact same

>song, you're an idiot. Ray Charles is one of the giants of popular

>music--that's right, popular music--of the past fifty years and has been

>held in enormously high esteem for most of that time. Oh, and did we

>mention

>that it's actually a blues? I'm trying to remember.

A song can be both blues and pop. Blues refers to a definite musical style.
Pop typically refers to any music that is popular at the time. When used in
a derogatory fashion, pop usually means facile popular music, but in it's
purist sense, it just refers to whatever is selling records.

Everybody stay calm please,
Jason