[Slowhand] Re: StL reflections

John Broholm jbroholm at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 23 16:55:19 EDT 2006

Bryce:

I read lukewarm reviews of Cray from the earlier tour . . . so I'm not really surprised that somebody found him less than scintillating.

OK, so my comments included a little hyperbole -- but it was *heartfelt* hype. His set came as a surprise because of what I'd read, in truth, so he's probably putting on far stronger shows this time around for whatever reason. His contribution to Old Love was anything but predictable. And believe me the StL crowd wasn't bored. I think it was extremely attentive to an opening act, something that *didn't* surprise me b/c of the longtime Clapton-Cray connections.

What did surprise me was my own reaction, and thus the best-ever opening act award. You can righteously ding me for having a limited horizon . . . In the olden days: Fillmore West, Winterland & other SF/Palo Alto/Bezerkley halls; Kiel, the Wash U. quad and the Nat Guard Armory in StL. In more modern times: various Denver, KC & Lawrence venues; Scottowel, er, Scottrade in StL, bluegrass up to your armpits at Winfield (never heard a bluegrass "White Room"? catch the Cache Valley Drifters) . . . Or you could question whether I was a little too cosmic-consciousness-enhanced at some of those shows. But I've never heard anybody do a better opening for a major show. Not even Brian Setzer, probably the formerly reigning champ.

Never heard Buddy live, and you're right, his recordings -- while sometimes damn good -- don't hit that nerve, at least not the one in my ear.

Appreciate your compliment, the playful tone of your post, and your "ahem, not so fast" point of view.

Others may have their own best-ever openers, and I'd enjoy reading them. I won't argue, but I can't see changing my mind, either.

JB

From: Bryce Utting <butting at ihug.co.nz>

John Broholm wrote (in a fantastic review, btw):

> Let’s put one thing clear, and no arguments. Robert Cray is the best

> opening act ever. [snip]

I'm surprised to read this, so I guess there is an argument. (uh-oh.)

Back in April, I had the absolute delight of seeing Buddy Guy live in
Auckland (and wooooooEEEEE!!!!, the blisters on my ears are still
tingling). Cray opened, and...

I've never been so bored.