[Slowhand] Re: Is it just me, or does this annoy all of us?

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Sun Oct 22 16:21:43 EDT 2006

>> Just looked up a web site of 'celebrity real names', ok confession time ... So I scanned the site, then i saw it....Eric Clapton = Eric Clapp. No, No, No - just because it was his grandparents name, people are too lazy to do the research. Even bbc.co.uk have made this mistake, and we in the UK have been brought up to believe we can trust the BBC! How do they explain his mother being Patricia Clapton? or his Uncle Adrian Clapton? did they all chage their names too? Sorry to rant but it really annoys me.Is it just me? <<

Simon,

I won't say that this annoys me, it's simply incorrect.

You mention "his grandparents' name." Yes, it was Clapp. But that was Clapton's grandmother's SECOND husband, who was named Jack Clapp and was NOT a blood relative to EC. Her first husband was surnamed Clapton, and EC's mother was daughter of the FIRST, real, blood relative grandfather. EC's mother, Patricia Clapton gave her illegitimate son the same surname that she had.

Bottom Line: EC's surname was NEVER Clapp, as Clapp wasn't related. It could've been Fryer, his biological Canadian father's surname. She named him Eric Patrick Clapton at birth. He took on his mother's original surname, not that of his father, and not that of his unrelated grandfather.

DeltaNick