[Slowhand] Eric rants and raves continued

Scott Wallenberg scottw at racerxill.com
Wed Apr 18 17:49:42 EDT 2007

If Eric did another From the Cradle what do you think it would sound
like?

In my opinion it would sound just like a repeat of From the Cradle. or Me
and Mr. Johnson
He is not going to re-invent the wheel...his blues playing is what it is. I
happen to love it but more covers of Blues tunes would get a kind of
redundant.

FTC and the accompanying tour had Lee Dixon trotting out endless varieties
of guitars which certainly helped to provide lots of nice tonal changes but
in the end it was still Eric's fingers and there really aren't any new
"blues" licks coming.

There is a fascinating interview in Vintage Guitar magazine Feb 2007 issue
interviewing Eric and JJ together which details almost every track on
Escondido.
Interestingly on Don't Cry Sister Eric actually did all the guitars and
taught himself the JJ Cale parts, the harmonizing lines and overdubs.
That's probably one of the coolest things on the record to me and shows that
if Eric wants to learn something new he can.

JJ also mentions how he plays After Midnight different almost every night to
change things up and Eric counters that he likes to keep the arrangements
the same and just let the solos vary.

Eric also mentioned about playing in a trio again with Cream "If I were to
do it again, I'd learn to play in a way that wasn't so manic.There must be
better ways to do the trio thing"

JJ says that Eric was sitting on his porch playing licks that he has never
ever heard Eric play. When JJ said Eric should record that, Eric replied
"there are somethings that should just go in the air"

Scott