[Slowhand] CROSSROADS DVD

Jeff Elliott jnt.elliott at comcast.net
Tue Nov 27 18:51:28 EST 2007

So I get home yesterday and my two (one set is a gift to a buddy stuck in
the Persian Gulf) CR 2007 DVDs from Best Buy are sitting in their package on
my dining room table. Needless to say, I couldn't wait to rip it open and
break out the DVD to reminisce over a tremendous show. And I wasn't
disappointed. Well, maybe a little bit but I'll expound on that in a
moment.

Is it my imagination or does Eric look like he's enjoying himself so much
more during this festival than the 2004 show?

The Steve and Eric "reunion" is blissful. Both gents tore up their
respective axes and it was really cool to see them play Can't Find My Way
Home to perfection. And I still can't decide which of the nearly 40 songs
in the entire DVD collection I'm most fond of.

Which brings me to the disappointment. I'm a big Sheryl Crow fan BUT, she's
not quite the guitar goddess that, in my mind, warrants inclusion in such an
exclusive group of guitarists. Not bashing Sheryl but I'd much rather they
left her off the DVD and replace it with Beck's rendition of A Day in the
Life. That was phenomenal (even wowed my wife who is not a Jeff Beck fan)
and really should have been included. (and how about Bill Murray giving Tal
Wilkenfeld a "lift" backstage! Who can blame him?)

Side note: I took my wife to the Clapton show at United Center in Sep 06.
As we were walking to dinner the Tuesday night before the show, we walked by
the Chicago Theater (I think) in which Jeff Beck was performing. I could
have had two tickets for $100 but the wife wasn't in to it. Should have
convinced her. We saw Frampton the night before in DC in a small little
500-sit dinner theater-great show-could have seen Beck on Tuesday and then
Clapton on Wednesday. Would've been a great week of Brit guitarists!)

But my biggest disappointment is the fact that, despite the advertisement,
there were no "bonus" tracks on the Best Buy DVDs. None. Zero. Zippy. A
quick check of the net alerted me to the two tracks being on a separate disc
which was inserted into a pocket of the outer cardboard packaging. Imagine
my horror finding this out after I had thrown the packaging in the trash
this morning and took the trash out to the curb as I left for the office!

I had to bribe my 72-year-old mother-in-law to waddle down the drive to get
the package out of the trash. It cost me but she complied and for no good
reason. Nothing in the package.

Of course, trying to contact Best Buy On line during the peak Christmas
shopping season is like trying to find Clapton/Winwood tickets. I'm still
waiting.

Anybody else out there experience this?

Jeff