[Slowhand] Memphis IBC 2008 results

Bill Mann olesouth_bill at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 2 10:19:22 EST 2008

Can be found at Blues dot org, as well, as entry information, etc.

What I saw last night were guys & gals that knew how to work there guitars (shred), but they lacked the "Buck Wheat Effect". I didn't see a single soul who would interact with the crowd the way Albert King or Muddy Waters did, which no doubt anybody that can would easily be declared an easy winner or one sought after individual.

Seems everybody has mastered their guitar, but can they really be a master song write, director and choreograph. It's so easy to do, but nobody does it. Which is simple amazing, pass up on something so elementary in terms of the "Bluesmanship".

Lets hope next year, somebody arrives with this kind of information and enlightens the judges, cause no doubt those folks had some tough decisions to make last night - because everybody pretty much sounded the same.

Ironically the place wasn't very packed, $15 wrist band to enter all the night clubs on Beale Street is a deal and one can stand right up in front and watch these future bands in there infancy, cause a year or two from now they'll be headline acts across American. Not a bad learning curve if you ask me.