[Slowhand] (new album)

Jon Maclean Jon.Maclean at lpma.nsw.gov.au
Mon Aug 9 01:47:38 EDT 2010

I too started wondering when I heard that Eric was working on an album of standards he had always wanted to cover himself. But then he has done some amazing covers in recent years and dare I say it, has excelled as a vocalist. I was listening to Back Home on the weekend, and continue to be struck by his vocal performance on Love Don't Love Nobody in particular. To me that is a real soul-filled performance and if that's the way he is leaning on the new album, then it could well be something special. Eric has improved 300% as a singer since the 1970 album, and sure, not everyone on this list may be too concerned about his vocals over his guitar playing, but to give credit where it's due, I really enjoy him as a vocalist these days. Yep, he's far and away my favourite guitarist, and it is easy to take his guitar playing for granted. If he were to descend to the current Rod Stewart vein I would certainly be disappointed, but I'm sure there will be more grit in what he does here and therefore more potency to the music. And I'm sure as always there will still be plenty of great guitar playing on it.
We'll just have to wait and see though, won't we?

Cheers,
Jon