[Slowhand] Clapton's new album

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Sun Oct 31 13:48:52 EDT 2010

Tone wrote:

>> I've been part of this here Digest since '96 or '97. Pilgrim was released in '98 and the majority of the comments were negative. Reptile was released in 2001 and the majority of the comments were negative. Me and Mr Johnson released in 2004, majority of the comments were negative. Back Home released in 2005, one positive comment. Clapton 2010, negative response. What if we were to comment on EACH studio album of Eric's from 1970's 'Eric Clapton' until '94's 'From The Cradle' ? Would there be only one album which would have an overwhelming thumb's up? <<

Tone,

I think you'll find that EC's albums grow on you, and that they sound better months or years later than they do initially. I never liked ANY of his albums since Blind Faith ... initially, with just a few exceptions. I still am not in love with many of them, but most, if not all, contain a few good or even great tracks.

So, what were the exceptions? "From The Cradle," of course, which virtually everyone here will agree is a stupendous album. Heck, it's what I was waiting DECADES for! It's a classic showing us that EC still had "it."

I also liked "Pilgrim," probably because it's largely what I expected. When performed live, "Pilgrim's" songs sound SO much better too.

"Back Home," I guess, has been the worst of all of them, the lowest point, the nadir. It's SO bad that when I played it for my wife, she actually laughed out loud (EC would've been seriously embarrassed)! I had to persuade her to attend the next EC concert!

I was fully expecting another "Back Home" with this latest album, and I was pleasantly surprised that "Clapton" isn't nearly as poor, although I still find it -- "Clapton," not "Back Home" -- only acceptable for playing while I do something else, in the background. It's not an album that I actually listen to intently, as I do with "FTC" or something else that I rate high.

But Tone, I have one question: who provided the positive comment regarding "Back Home"?

DeltaNick