[Slowhand] FW: Old Sock indeed

Jon Maclean Jon.Maclean at lpi.nsw.gov.au
Mon Mar 11 17:51:45 EDT 2013

The following post appears on behalf of Tone, who has encountered difficulties posting to the Digest.........

Cheers,
Jon

Why doesn't he play with the fire he had with Mayall when he was 20, rather than like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli?

In the 50's when signed to Atlantic, Ray Charles had three separate recording groups, the R & B stuff that had all the hits, the small jazz combo and the Jazz big band outfit.

He not only played piano and organ but also sax. Some albums were purely instrumental.

He also did albums with Milt Jackson (vibraphone).

In '61 he did an album with Betty Carter. A Woman!

The next year Modern Sounds in Country And Western!

Just who the hell did Ray Charles think he was?

Why didn't he just stick to:

What'd I Say (Part 1)
What'd I Say (Part 2)
What'd I Say (Part 3)
What'd I Say (Part 4)
What'd I Say (Part 5)
What'd I Say (Part 6)
What'd I Say (Part 7)
What'd I Say (Part 8)
What'd I Say (Part 9)
What'd I Say (Part 10)
What'd I Say (Part 11)

It may have been a lot easier for us if Eric had bitten the dust after Blind Faith.

We'd always have the great memories of the halcyon days of Cream, Mayall, Powerhouse, Yardbirds and Blind Faith.

Rather than the disappointment with the following fluff:

Delaney and Bonnie
Derek and The Dominos
461 Ocean Boulevard
EC Was Here
Slowhand
Just One Night
Behind The Sun
Edge Of Darkness
Unplugged

>From The Cradle

Pilgrim
One More Care One More Rider
Revisiting Robert Johnson (in depth)

Collaborating with
BB King
Jeff Beck
Steve Winwood
Bob Dylan
Wynton Marsalis

Reforming Cream,
Playing at Mayall's 70th

Legends at Montreux
Crossroads guitar festivals

Yes, It would have been a lot easier for me if I just had those 5 albums from 66 - 69, just like Jimi's four albums from 67 - 70.

I hate the thought of Jimi living until he was 71 years old and disappointing us by releasing an album like "Old Sock" in 2013, and all the other mediocre stuff that would have come out in between Band Of Gypsys and now.

Have I flogged this dead horse long enough?

Okay I'll now go and put a sock in it. Preferably an old one.

Cheers

Tone

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Government. This email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.