[StBernard] Employers Who Refuse To Pay

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Oct 30 10:14:47 EST 2005

David,

I suggest you contact an attorney who can contact this person on your
behalf.

This is what I found on the La. Dept of Labors web site:
http://www.ldol.state.la.us/job_laborlawfaq.asp?Portal=WRK
---
What is the law concerning payment of wages to employees?

Final Paycheck:

Louisiana employees who are laid off, fired, or who quit must be paid their
wages in full at the next regular payday, not to exceed 15 days from the
date of their discharge or termination. Wages include vacation time earned
by the employee. An employee should send a written demand for payment of
their final wages to their employer. After receipt of a written demand, the
employer must pay all wages owed to the employee on a timely basis or be
subject to a penalty that may be imposed by a court. Claims against an
employer for late payment may be filed by way of a private lawsuit. The
Louisiana Department of Labor does not have the authority to enforce this
law. You may review this law at R.S. 23:631 -632.

Last Wages Due Deceased Employee:

Under certain circumstances, Louisiana law (R.S. 9:1515) allows employers to
pay to the surviving spouse or children of a deceased employee the last
wages and other benefits due the deceased employee without a court order.

Late Payroll:

Louisiana law requires that most employees of the following four industries
be paid wages on a timely basis: oil and gas, mining, manufacturers, and
public service corporations. There is no Louisiana law, however, concerning
the timeliness of payment to employees of other industries. Accordingly,
there would be no state sanction imposed against those employers for missing
a regularly scheduled payroll date and in paying their employees late.

Questions Concerning Overtime, Minimum Wage, or Salaried Employees:

Louisiana has no wage laws concerning overtime, minimum wage, or the
regulation of salaried employees. The United States Department of Labor's
(USDOL) Wage and Hour Division enforces the Fair Labor Standards Act
regulating minimum wage, overtime and salaried employees. Further
information concerning these matters may be found at the WH division of the
USDOL Web site.

Unauthorized Deductions from Paycheck:

Under Louisiana law (R.S. 23:635), an employer is prohibited from penalizing
an employee or deducting any sum of money as a penalty or fine from the
employee's wages, except where the employee damages property belonging to
the employer or property in the possession of the employer. The deduction,
though, cannot exceed the actual damage done.
----