[StBernard] Question about home damage

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Nov 6 12:28:37 EST 2005

I had a home for sale in Chalmette for quite some time. The
market was slow so we decided to do a Deed in Lieu of
Foreclosure. this basically gives it back to the mortgage
company and I walk away. The mortgage company rep said to
go ahead and cancel all the insurance on the home since
they would be taking it back. As Murphy's Law would have
it, right after canceling, along came Katrina. The house is
destroyed and I now have several vehicles, which are not my
own, on the property with one actually being inside the
garage. I contacted the mortgage company only to be told
that the paperwork for the Deed in Lieu had not been
completed yet. They would get back with me. As of today,
still nothing and they will not return my calls.
Does anyone have any possible solutions to this problem?
At this point, I am basically stuck with a destroyed home,
with some damage caused by the vehicles hitting the house.
Can I find out who owns the vehicles and have their auto
ins. pay for some of the damage? I don't mean to sound
picky, but at this point I have nothing to cover the
damages with.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!