[StBernard] Council extends deadline to March 31

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jan 5 22:41:10 EST 2006

Angel and John,

While I couldn't agree more with cleaning up, I'd like to take a moment
and tell you a few things from my own personal experience. I am a single mom
with three kids. I went home to try and clean up and do just what you two
are asking. I spent over 1 hour moving my flexsteel sofa sleeper four feet
in the house, out the front door just to the front yard, not even the curb.
I have a willow tree planted before thes storm growing all crazy along the
ground which didn't allow for removing it all the way, and my car couldn't
pull the tree up to making debris removal eay. SECOND, I am 1700 miles away,
not an easy weekend trip to work in my home. The kids are in school, which
has been disrupted enough and when I go I have to leave my kids with my
parents in Alabama for fear of mold and the oil spill and take them out of
school. I am returning, however, cleaning up the few items ya'll list that
would only take a day to remove is truly underestimating the sitaution. I
couldn't move the refirigerator, and almost cut my finger off that same day
on unseen glass, let's not discuss the bruises and other injuries. It's not
that the job isn't easy, throwing away "stuff" is easy, the hard part was
wondering what if something serious happened and I couldn't get help, and I
am sure I am not the only single parent in the parish. Needless to say I
signed up for help when Habitat for humainity comes in to help with the
gutting, but in the mean time, my house will look like hell. I also plan on
volunteering to assist with a number of homes following the gutting of mine,
it's the least I can do to help others. You both have to understand, want
may not be the issue. I WANT TO RETURN HOME. I WANT MY JOB AND LIFE BACK. I
WANT TO SEE MY NEIGHBORS AND FRIENDS AGAIN. I WANT MY KIDS TO GO HOME AND BE
WITH THEIR FRIENDS TOO. BUT, I can't and I shouldn't be punished for that.

Wendy Hall

I totally agree with John Richardson. Everyone is ready to complain and yes
some of us do not have a lot of money, but everyone can clean up. It does
not cost a thing to get into your house and bring out the trash. It is not
pleasant and yes, it is very hard to have to get rid of your belonging, but
going through your things does bring back some great memories. Remember God
helps those who help themselves.

---

What scares me is, we are starting to sound like the people in the 9th ward,
expecting everyone else to do for us. This website was a link home and now
it is just getting to be a complaint center. Who cares who has the
contracts to pick up the trash, it is getting picked up. If you do not want
to come back, don't. I personally want to thank the council for all their
hard work. For setting up this web site to let us know what is going on.
For getting the FEMA/support center open on Walmart's parking lot. I have
been told by friends of other parishes that we are lucky to have people like
this helping us, they don't. I also want to thank the police for staying
down there, risking their lives too make St. Bernard as safe as possible
during these trying times. We are all in this together. Yes, there are a
lot of un-answered questions, but we must be patience. We need to stay
strong and stick together.
---

Angel