[Woodcarver] NEWR Polka for the N.A. Flute

Sandy Holder carouselcarver at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 08:29:53 EDT 2004

>From: "Mike Bloomquist" <m.bloomquist at verizon.net>
>Subject: Re: [Woodcarver] NEWR Polka for the N.A. Flute
>
>Sandy,
>......thank you for the "Rags 2 Riches" CD.  I taught a woodspirit class in
>Syracuse the following Saturday, and it was the first CD I played.  Good
>carvin' music, for sure.

You are so welcome and glad you enjoy listening to it.

>Polka music on a N.A.flute?... hhmmmmmmm... think I might try a couple slow
>ones first, like "Amazing Grace" or "Zuni Sunrise" and work my up to
>polkas,
>OK?  My flute presentation conflicted with your first jam session, that's
>why I was fashionably late... I won't make that mistake next year, and
>we'll
>save a chair for you.  BTW, your hubby's harmonicas-on-a-rolodex inspired
>Floyd and I.  We put our heads together and figured I could carve several
>flutes in different keys and do a similar thing, but instead of the
>rolodex,
>we're basing ours on the gatling gun <BG>... this could be interesting to
>see which of us carves THAT caricature first.
>
>Keep on Carvin'
>-Mike B.->

This I gotta see, should be verrrrrrryyyy interesting. I believe it is
really possible to do such a thing, carrying might be another challenge
area. But if I can carry the dulcimer around you surely can carry the
"Gatling Flute"!! Can't wait to see one. I'll keep bugging Floyd too.

On a hammered dulcimer though, what we play in one key, we can easily play
in any of the other keys available on the dulcimer. i.e., any tune played in
the key of G can easily be played in the keys of C, D, or A and somethimes F
depending on where it goes from that octave. The same with the other keys.
Keep thinking about that polka!

Missed seeing the finished "chip" carved chip. That was a fun idea.

Glad you got home safely Sally and David. We also got home Friday.

Sandy - Evart MI

7th Wood Carvers Roundup - Evart MI June 15-18, 2005
Spit & Whittle Weekend - Evart, Sept 10-12, 2004
http://www.woodcarversroundup.com
Michigan Wood Carvers Association http://miwca.com
See my carvings at http://www.picturetrail.com/sholder