[Woodcarver] The Honesdale potato chip

Mike Bloomquist m.bloomquist at verizon.net
Mon Aug 2 23:14:38 EDT 2004

"The Rest of the Story"

Chip carving is on my "short list" (things I don't carve), so just like
chainsaw carvers I know, I poke fun sometimes.  So, knowing full well I
would not get the last word, I busted on Nick some.  Like whenever my class
would come to a step where we'd cut out a chip I would admit that, yes, it
is like chip carving, but "shhhh... don't tell Koz".  Somewhere during the
back and forth I heard about Joe Dunn's famous "chip carving".

Because two years doesn't make a tradition, I have a ... habit of taking a
break from the teaching and become a student.  Last year it was Sally Nye's
fan birds and Elmer Jumper's "Poopy Dog".  This year I took a walk on the
dark side and sat down at Nick's chip carving table.  What I didn't realize
was that this was his advanced class.  Nick is one heckuva instructor.  He
had to be, because after I was done he accused me of being a Wayne Barton
spy.  I knew I wasn't going to keep my carving adventure since there was
witnesses, but to make it worse my white board the next morning had in big
red letters "Your Instructor is Also an Expert Chip Carver", signed Koz.  Oh
the shame!

So, inspired by Joe's "chip carving" I grabbed a chunk of basswood from my
buddy Harold, borrowed Sally and David's scroll saw and proceeded to carve
the rough shape of a potato chip before my morning class, then at lunch I
took a V-tool and put ridges in it (thought for sure I was going to earn
that blood drop necklace).  I basically carved a caricature of a Ruffles
potato chip.  Yes, I know I'm disturbed... but harmless.  Before my
afternoon class I walked by Nick's, and presented it to Nick thanking him
for introducing me to "chip" carving.  He got the last word after the pot
luck dinner that night, but I think I got the louder laugh out of him ;-).

Terry, are you sorry you asked yet?

Keep on Carvin'
-Mike B.->