[Woodcarver] Re: SAnding belt sharpener

TWWOODWORK at aol.com TWWOODWORK at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 20:03:43 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/5/2004 6:06:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
woodcarver-request at six.pairlist.net writes:
Roundup were using a belt sander for sharpening. One model that I am
planning to purchase is offered by Lee Valley.
I have the Lee Valley belt sander and use a 400 grit to do all my kitchen
knives in about 10 minutes. Nope don't put my carving tools on it as I find in
spite of years of sharpening, etc. I almost often roll or fail to get a
completely flat edge. I like to hand hone my carvering tools as I like to sharpen them
at the same angle at which I plan to  use them.
    Haven't found any system better than the CD put out by Elliott Ellenwood
and the whole CD is about hand sharpening. It doesn't take long after you get
your edges right the first time.
Tom
    ThomasW. Horton
    Glen Mills, PA