[Woodcarver] tips for walking sticks

Classic Carving Patterns irish at carvingpatterns.com
Thu Aug 19 03:49:57 EDT 2004

Good Morning Butch,

You might also try Van Dykes Restorations.  They have a very large
selection items that can be used as cane accessories.

Now I expect that you are probably looking for fancy brass styled
ferrules but another alternative for a casual walking stick is a the
rubber stoppers that are used on the bottoms of metal table legs and
chairs.  They are not very pretty and only come in off white, black, and
that yuck tan color.  However, they have one very superior aspect ...
they grip the ground!  We adhered them with two part epoxy and have at
times added a set screw at the center for added security. Try and recess
the set screw if you use one so that it doesn't scratch the floor.

I should say here first that Mike and I have never done 'fancy canes'
that were used only as outfit accessories as a hat or scarf would be
used.  Our experience was with folk art styled walking sticks,  those
that eventually ends up in the umbrella stand next to the door ... those
that are just grabbed on the way out of the house.  Mike, when we began
carving walking sticks insisted on one simple point, the cane always had
to be able to support the weight of the walker!  When we were still
doing carvings for sale our cane staffs tended to be just a little
thicker than average with as strong a joint between the cane and topper
as possible.  Mike often had solid 3/8" all thread as the dowel between
the cane and topper.  Plus we used the table leg stoppers as the
ferrules.

That way if anyone using the cane ever had to depend on that cane to
prevent a slip or steady them on a rough walking surface we knew our
canes could carry them. Personally we sold all of our canes that way and
never had any complaints about how yucky the ferrule was ... especially
once a customer tried the cane out putting a little weight into the cane
as they walked.

Just an idea!  Opps ... forgot to say that those rubber tips comes in
all sorts of sizes and are available at most hardware stores.

Susan Irish

Carving Patterns Online
Designs Online Since 1997!
Classic Carving Patterns By L.S.Irish