[Woodcarver] Old Joe, liability

OLD JOE jb04404 at alltel.net
Sun Aug 22 13:32:31 EDT 2004

Most of us will probably never have any problems with a well made non-slip
cane or stick tip which you have personally tested and (it) has been tested
by others.

Adding a medical tip as an accessory might be a good idea.

Right, oily, wet, waxed and extra smooth surfaces can be hazardous for a
cane user, even with the  medical type tip if not used properly.

When selling to others, I use a short statement or disclaimer , like
"Decorative cane, not for medical use or support", and I insist on a 5
minute session on how to properly use a cane or walking stick.

Having been drug into several non-carving related law suits so I am overly
cautious.  (Even as the plaintiff, I lost on legal technicalities.)

Having had my cane slip on bad floor surfaces many times has increased my
concern for safety, not necessarily liability problems.

The tips I use have a couple of soft rubber concentric tread rings which
grip most surfaces quite well with good straight downward pressure. They
slip easily when pressure is at a angle. Old Joe

Old Joe (Joe Brott), Plattsmouth, NE USA
www.oldjoe.org
for Len Dillon basswood roughouts and basswood turnings, click:
www.diamondd.org