[Woodcarver] Re: painting instructios

Woodcarver87 woodcarver87 at cox.net
Thu Aug 26 22:19:27 EDT 2004

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the extra effort and for taking care of  all the folks that
requested a copy from me by sending it through the List. I also got a great
memo from Bernie on notes he took at a couple of workshops. His notes
follow. John A

Many  carving magazine articles give painting instructions and usually
specify
a specific brand and color. I found that A.C.Moore had a color cross
reference chart
posted next to their inventory of craft colors so you could perhaps, find a
matching
color in a brand that was on sale.

bernie feinerman
Notes from a Pete LeClair painting session at the Yankee Woodcarvers
4/1/2002

Carving should be washed   and allowed to dry before painting.
Use a dish detergent and a scrub brush to try to get the fuzzies off.

Try out the color you want on a scrap piece of similar wood

Anything white should be painted next - eyes, teeth, shirt, etc,
using thinned out acrylic paints. (the kind sold at the hobby stores
 for 0.25 to $1.00  for a 2 oz bottle)
Eyes are usually painted full strength white,

The carving should then be dipped (or brushed on heavy) into a solution
of boiled linseed oil and raw sienna oil paint. Starting point for
setting up the mixture is a quart of boiled linseed oil to an 1" of
 pigment extruded from a tube of artists paint. Mix it up, try it
out, and then adjust to suit yourself.
(I have heard that some people use burnt umber in place of raw sienna)

Let the carving soak for a few minutes (20?) and then wipe off any
excess taking care not to leave any pockets of oil mixture in any
 crevices. Be careful  with the rags  used to wipe up the solution -
they are flammable and should be dried out in open air outside your
building before being discarded in the trash.

You can wait 2-4 days maximum between soaking the carving in the
 linseed oil solution and the rest of the painting, but it is
better not to wait too long.

Medium flesh  = flesh + dab of cadmium red
Rouge
Lips = cadmium red + iron oxide
Darken shadows by brushing a thinned burnt umber
Hair = black + brown, or a chocolate, or iron oxide - take
 care to paint the hair color working away from the face.

Let the carving dry for 4 days & then wax it using Howards
 Bees wax which comes in a gel form. After the wax is on,
buff it using a buffing wheel.
(Since the class in 2002, I think Pete has found other 'wax's'  to use)
Notes from a Kieth Morrel seminar in April 2004.

Wash the carving and start painting when it is still
damp but not soaking.
(what Kieth did was drop the carving into a glass of water, pull it out
and let it sit a bit before starting to paint. I think he was trying to fill
the wood's capillaries with moisture. why I do not remember)

As I recall, Kieth had no particular formula for how much to dilute the
carft colors, he put some drops from the bottle into a bit of water and
tried it out.

Paint the flesh colors first
(He said that putting the flesh color on first allowed him to color
eyebrows, inside of lips, etc. without worrying about getting those
colors onto the whites of the eyes, etc.)

Then paint the white of the eye, the black pupil,
the  main iris color  (light X where X = iris color) and finally put
a small ring of a dark Iris color (dark X) around the light color.
Put a tiny dot of white (using a toothpick or a hair) on both eyes
at the same point (i.e. 1 o'clock) to indicate where the eyes are pointing.

Kieth suggested using the pens (Micron) that Quilters used for getting
very lines - he used the pens for getting the stripes on pants, etc.
The pen inks are waterproof and available in many colors.

Kieth used a different antiquing solution straight from a bottle
instead of the linseed oil/raw sienna solution. Kieth said that
color charts were a bit of a nuisance when there were so may colors
available in the craft stores.