[Woodcarver] Carving Knife (chat)

Jimmy Bates jbatesjr at triad.rr.com
Wed Dec 1 21:54:38 EST 2004

I typically use (2) of Ron Wells knives on a daily basis.  When carving from 1/4" stock I don't even use a bandsaw, just the long bladed Ron Wells knife. They are probably the sharpest ones I have and are easy to keep sharp. Strop every 15 minutes or so. Just don't pry with them. My other two are about an 1/8" shorter because of my mistake.
" I " had to learn how to carve straight to avoid twisting the knife in the wood. I have a curved thin blade detail knife made by Ralph Long which allows for smooth curves and a little bending which eliminates the use of small gauges on small ornaments and such. He has an excellent thin gouge also.
My sister purchased all (5) different knives from him last year and gave them to me as a gift.
Be hard to do without the knives or my sister.
Jimmy B.