[Woodcarver] WHOTCHACORV'N????

Alex Bisso albisso at bresnan.net
Sun Dec 12 00:00:54 EST 2004

Hi Merrilee - I can't believe that anyone would suggest that you could sand
a love spoon from start to finish but I guess that depends on the design and
what you start with.  For mine I drew around one a friend had done and
roughly cut the outline on a bandsaw in 3/4" stock.  Then I trimmed about
3/8" off the bottom side of the handle part leaving the spoon part thicker.
>From then on it was carving and there is no way that sanding could have done
it.  I also changed the design a bit to improve it from my perspective and I
did a lot more detail on the back than the example I had.  Although it was
not really a planned design, I thought it was neat the way a heart was
created in the back where I signed it.
>From my first experience, I would say that the love spoons are a worthy
carving challenge.
What is the name of the book you have on carving love spoons?  There is no
book on the subject in the Montana Woodcarvers Association library and maybe
I can get them to buy one for the library.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the love spoon.
Alex